Director, Corporate Communications
Company: Sonder Inc.
Posted on: April 10, 2021
With thousands of beautiful spaces built for travel and living,
Sonder is transforming the future of hospitality. Each Sonder is
purposefully selected, designed and maintained - customized to
reflect the vibe of its neighborhood. Whether your stay is two
days, two months or two years, in a studio or a six-bedroom, Sonder
ensures a unique, yet consistent experience. And with 24/7
contactless service, professional cleanings that exceed CDC
recommendations, and over 200 other quality standards, we're taking
stay further for guests all around the world.
Sonder started in 2014, and now has thousands of spaces in cities
across the globe.
We are seeking a Director of Communications to help build the
corporate affairs function from the ground up.
The Work Falls Into Three Major Buckets
We're looking for a communications leader who will work with their
team to design a world class corporate communications strategy,
building the story of creating a new product category around modern
accommodations, and enabling our rapid growth in current and new
cities around the world through increased awareness.
- Corporate Communications: Help shape public perception of
Sonder with a specific focus on corporate stakeholders. This
includes managing external communications for senior executives,
supporting public policy and CSR initiatives, managing issues and
crisis communications that protect our brand and our reputation,
and pre-IPO and post-IPO financial communications.
- Internal Communications: As the company continues to grow and
expand in new markets, we need to enhance how we connect and
communicate with all employees. Top priorities are to continue
cultivating the company culture and norms, communicate the context
behind company strategy and decisions made at a leadership level,
and enhance operational and business performance.
- Brand and Product Marketing Communications: Over time,
increasingly scale owned and earned communications support for the
company's guest facing communication strategy and execution (e.g.
PR for product launches, content marketing) and brand marketing
This communications professional will work closely with Sonder's
senior leadership team, and will report into Sonder's Vice
President of Corporate Affairs. Location is flexible.
What You'll Do
Build out and lead Sonder's corporate communications function. This
includes a range of responsibilities including strategy, program
management and execution, team management, and operational
Vision, Strategy and Planning
- Define the strategic goals for corporate communications -- in
support of the company's goals and business objectives -- and a
roadmap to achieve these goals.
- Develop a compelling and consistent communications strategy
across a wide variety of audiences to make Sonder synonymous with
the future of hospitality and a new category of modern
Internal and External Communications Program Management and
- Serve as a spokesperson for the company to external
- Define the role of executive communications in service to our
company communication objectives. Develop a strategy and clear
plans to develop content and a public presence for our senior
leadership team including identifying, vetting, and proactively
securing press interviews, speaking opportunities, profiles and
- Manage and provide leadership for the internal communications
function, which drives internal communications strategy and content
across a combination of internal events, content, and email
- Cultivate relationships with journalists, media outlets,
bloggers, and other opinion influencers.
- Collaborate with the SLT and key partners across the
organization, including our Brand and Revenue teams to efficiently
generate quality internal and external communications content in
alignment with the company's overall mission, messaging, and
strategy. Scale this function over time.
- Lead all issues and crisis communications efforts, including
creating the company's rapid response function to strengthen the
company's ability to gather information, act, and respond to
business-critical issues and crisis with maximum operational
efficiency. As part of this, create the supporting internal and
external communications protocols, tools and processes.
Team Leadership, Operational Rigor and Cross-Company Alignment
- Partner with internal teams from across the company to develop
and maintain the annual calendar for internal and external
communications and marketing content and stakeholder engagement
- Set targets (OKRs) for all key activities (qualitative and
quantitative) and report back to the business/leadership team on a
- Over time, hire and manage communications firms in key markets,
including building out and developing an internal team.
- Build the processes and systems that help the corporate affairs
and communications team grow and scale with the company. As a first
step, identify opportunities for internal process improvements and
What We Look For
- Minimum 10 years of corporate communications experience,
including previously holding a senior position or leading a
corporate communications team at a publicly-traded company.
- Experience leading communications activity during high-impact
financial moments (IPO specifically, quarterly earnings, M&A),
either in an agency or in-house.
- A passion for hospitality, real estate and technology.
- Track record of leading and executing a comprehensive strategic
communications program that includes company positioning,
communications and PR strategy, media and influencer relations, and
- Great strategic communication and planning skills. Someone who
understands how to define their audience, develop simple but
persuasive messages, and have clear vision on the most effective
channels and form of communication to achieve a desired
- Rigorously considers the very best way to approach problems
(and opportunities). You have an analytical or growth mindset.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, and
excellent interpersonal skills.
- Maintains a high bar for quality, in particular for writing,
executive platforms and appearances, messaging, and operational
rigor (systems and processes). You can't stand loose ends.
- Energetic, collaborative, and willing to take on all variety of
assignments as part of a small but dynamic team.
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Communications, Business or
other relevant field.
- This position will be remote and can be based out of any major
metro in North America
We also have great benefits to make your life easier so you can
focus on what you're best at:
- Competitive salary
- Generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- Annual free credits and discounts to stay in Sonders
- A company with a huge vision, a dynamic work environment, and a
team of smart, ambitious and fun to work-with colleagues!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our
company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion,
color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital
status, veteran status, or disability status or other protected
Keywords: Sonder Inc., Dallas , Director, Corporate Communications, Executive , Dallas, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!