Registered Nurse - Research - Malginant Hematology Program - Simmons C
Company: UT Southwestern Medical Center
Posted on: September 17, 2020
Experience and Education
- Graduate of NLN (National League for Nursing) approved Nursing
- Licensure as Registered Nurse by Board of Nurse Examiners for
the State of Texas is required.
- Experience in research nursing for at least one (1) year is
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through a course
accredited by the American Heart Association (AHA) is required. Job
The Research RN manages all patient activity on complex clinical
oncology trials for the Cancer Center Malignant Hematology Program.
This role interfaces with physicians and patients seeking to
participate in treatment trials for their cancer. Research RNs
review eligibility for prospective patients, schedule procedures
and tests in accordance with the IRB approved protocol,
participates in the consent process with the study patient and
continues to coordinate the activities related to the clinical
trials for that patient all the way through their continuum of care
while on study. The Research RN also participates in tumor boards,
monthly disease oriented team clinical research meetings, and other
- Recruits patients for research studies ensuring subject
eligibility, screens patients, tracks patients' data and explains
the study purpose and content of each study. Obtains informed
consent and follows the proper consenting process for patients
and/or family members.
- Performs nursing care, nursing assessment, and data collection
for clinical research studies.
- Coordinates clinical research data collection for
pharmaceutical studies, Federal studies or investigator initiated
studies in patient records (paper and electronic), sponsors
documents (electronic and paper) and other forms for data
collection. May also report information to other physicians and
granting agencies. Collects, labels, stores and ships blood, serum,
urine and other specimens for analysis for each protocol.
- Develops procedures for inpatient and outpatient research
activities, follows protocols in the scheduling of tests and
procedures; administers experimental and non-experimental
medication and procedures under physician guidance.
- Trains other research nurses in specialized skills and
knowledge necessary to perform variety of basic and complex
research data collection and nursing care; provides in-service
education to staff members as appropriate.
- Provides working direction for research activities to nursing
staff and/or other non-licensed medical or office support
- Assists in resolving problems relating to patient care and acts
as a patient advocate. Gives counsel to patients with respect to
medical conditions and provides appropriate guidance related to
- Monitors and evaluates patients involved in research studies,
including their response to therapy. Advises the physician and
sponsors on current conditions including possible side effects of
therapy. Reports adverse events through the appropriate sources per
the policy of the protocol and the University Institutional Review
Board (IRB) regulations.
- Assists in organizing and preparing collected data for
subsequent publication as appropriate.
- Coordinates, if appropriate, all regulatory aspects for each
study, which may include budgets, contracts, IRB submissions, and
other required committee submissions. Responds to internal and/or
external audit requests.
- Occasionally, attends and participates in out of town
- Maintains inventory of investigational mediation, devices or
approved medication for each protocol and acts as liaison between
investigator pharmacy as each protocol requires. Performs other
duties as assigned.
- Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned. Security This
position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code
51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and
working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members
of the University community. In accordance with federal and state
law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including
harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national
origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic
information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In
addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination
on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender
expression. Associated topics: asn, coronary, domiciliary, hospice,
intensive care, intensive care unit, maternal, mhb, recovery,
Keywords: UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas , Registered Nurse - Research - Malginant Hematology Program - Simmons C, Healthcare , Dallas, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!