Medical Assistant I
Company: OrthoLoneStar PLLC
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Job DescriptionJob SummaryUnder direct supervision performs a
variety of front and back office duties in the clinic. Provides
initial preparation of patients prior to the physician's encounter;
assists physician in patient care activities; performs procedures
under the supervision of physician; provides health education under
the supervision of physician. Principal Responsibilities and
TasksThe following statements are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list
of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Be present and prepared for clinic 15 minutes prior to clinic
- Assist physician during physical exams and procedures.
- Ensure that charts for outside physicians are prepared for that
day with appropriate forms and documentation.
- Assist with scheduling appointments, scheduling surgeries,
requesting medical information, test results, photocopying, filing,
pre-certification and other tasks as assigned or required.
- Assist with obtaining authorizations or referrals needed.
- Maintain patient charts and ensures information is filed /
- Function as a collaborative team member; demonstrated
commitment to group goals and teamwork.
- Take vitals on all patients to include height, weight, blood
pressure and temperature.
- Complete patient history, medication documentation, and other
orders as instructed by the provider.
- Perform point of care testing, phlebotomy and specimen
collection, assisting the provider with basic routine tests,
injections, procedures, suture removal, dressing changes and the
- Assess clinical equipment. Notify management of issues or
- Operate equipment as intended, in a safe and competent manner
that is compliant with OSHA standards
- Dispose of hazardous and biohazardous waste in a manner that
complies with all OSHA standards and hospital and practice
- Enter other pertinent patient data into Electronic Medical
Record (EMR) or chart as requested by the provider.
- Accurately documents point of care results to ensure charges
are sent by the close of business.
- Work within scope and with providers to answer patient phone
questions and complete refill encounters with appropriate
documentation in the chart or EMR.
- Answer phones, screen calls, and communicate messages
accurately and in a timely manner.
- Restock and prepare exam rooms for the next day according to
par levels. Notify staff member(s) responsible for ordering
supplies when appropriate.
- Return patient phone call and emails in a timely, efficient,
and friendly manner.
- Maintains the privacy and security of all confidential and
protected health information. Uses and discloses only that
information which is necessary to perform the function of the
- Function as a collaborative team member; demonstrates
commitment to group goals and teamwork; establish and maintains
constructive working relationships with patients, patient family
members, coworkers, physicians, managers, hospital staff, case
managers, insurance adjustors and anyone else that the employee
interacts with while conducting business .
- Completes other duties as assigned by physician or management
team. Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
- Two (2) years of relevant back-office or completion of a formal
medical assistant training program.
- BLS certification within two years of hire date is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Previous experience using a business office suite, such as
Microsoft Office, is preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology required.
- Must have knowledge of electronic medical records software and
- Knowledge of HIPAA and OHSA requirements.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and
- Strong organizational and planning skills. Patient
SafetyEnsures patient safety in the performance of job functions
and through participation in patient safety initiatives.
- Takes action to correct observed risks to patient safety
- Reports adverse events and near misses to appropriate
- Identifies possible risks in processes, procedures, devices and
communicates the same to those in charge. Competencies
- Customer/Client Focus.
- Teamwork Orientation.
- Time Management. Supervisory ResponsibilityThis position has no
direct supervisory responsibility. Work EnvironmentThis position
works in orthopedic medical practice hospital setting. The
environment is generally indicative of a typical office setting.
However, the hazards of sharp instruments and bloodborne and other
pathogen types is ever present.Physical DemandsThe physical demands
described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. The position walks, sits, stands, bends, lifts and moves
continually during working hours. The position is subject to
lifting objects weighing over 50 pounds, pushing wheelchairs, and
transporting and supporting residents. The employee must be
constantly alert for resident safety. Expected Hours of WorkThe
expected work hours are 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday
with rare, but possible weekend work as required.
Keywords: OrthoLoneStar PLLC, Dallas , Medical Assistant I, Healthcare , Frisco, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!