Poison Information Specialist
Company: Parkland Hospital
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Poison Information Specialist - FT Nights * FORIEGN MD, OD,
PHARMACY, OR RN preferredInterested in a career with both meaning
and growth? Whether your abilities are in direct patient care or
one of the many other areas of healthcare administration and
support, everyone at Parkland works together to fulfill our
mission: the health and well-being of individuals and communities
entrusted to our care. By joining Parkland, you become part of a
diverse healthcare legacy that's served our community for more than
125 years. Put your skills to work with us, seek opportunities to
learn and join a talented team where patient care is more than a
job. It's our passion!
Poison Information Specialist - FT Nights (FORIEGN MD, OD,
PHARMACY, OR RN preferred)
* Please Note:
During orientation, the new hire has 4 (10 hour shifts) for the
first four months. This will be for a late night position with
shift ending at 2am or overnight
Serves as a resource to health professionals and the public by
providing professional and technical assistance regarding potential
poisonings and conducting educational and research projects to
ensure Poison Center operations meets regulatory requirements and
the needs of users..
* Medical - Active Day 1 of hire
* Life Insurance
* Disability Insurance
* Pension Plan
* Flexible Spending Accounts
* Paid Personal Leave
* Tuition Reimbursement
* Employee Health Center
* Parkland Center of Nursing Excellence
* SPARKS Peer Support Network
* And more!
* Serves as a resource to the public and health professionals
related to potential poisonings by answering calls and providing
consultation to include information, direction, and assistance
concerning analytical toxicology, emergency and critical care and
extracorporeal capabilities within the region. Ensures procedures
meet the criteria established by the American Association of Poison
* Coordinates poison services, performs referral services,
identification, treatment, assessment and charting activities,
conducts analysis, calculates patients' toxicity level and performs
follow-up calls. Maintains documentation and records and prepares
reports. Ensure services meet North Texas Poison Center (NTPC)
policies and procedures.
* Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements and trends
in poison information by attending seminars and workshops, reading
professional journals and/or maintaining licensure/registration
with Texas State Board for profession. Integrates knowledge gained
into current work practices.
* Participates in call monitoring and performance improvement
initiatives on a monthly basis to ensure the poison center is
* Identifies and analyzes the design of jobs, work processes, work
flows, etc. for the NTPC and implements appropriate changes to
improve effectiveness, productivity, efficiency and recommending
annual goals and objectives that support the overall goals of
* Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies,
laws, and guidelines that impact the Poison Information area.
Develops effective internal controls that promote adherence to
applicable state/federal laws, and the program requirements of
accreditation agencies and federal, state, and private health
plans. Seeks advice and guidance as necessary to ensure proper
* Seeks and utilizes direction from more experience staff and team
members as needed. May work with other staff in providing direction
to non-specialist staff. Participates in information exchanges with
Poison Center and other Parkland staff that support the standards,
missions, goals and objectives of the department and Parkland.
* Must be able to work rotating shifts.
* RN's Only: Must demonstrate ability to provide care to assigned
patient population in accordance with the current State of Texas
Nursing Practice Act, established protocols, multidisciplinary plan
of care, and clinical area specific standards.
* B Pharm or Pharm.D. Degree from an accrediated school of Pharmacy
* Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree from an
approved college of Medicine/Osteopathy -OR-
* A.S. or BSN Degree of an accredited school of Nursing
* One (1) year of professional pharmacist, nursing or physician
experience in a hospital environment.
Equivalent Education and/or Experience -
* May have an equivalent combination of education or experience in
lieu of specific education and/or experience as stated above.
* Current and valid American Association of Poison Control Centers
(AAPCC) Poison Information Specialist certification or obtain
within five (5) years of hire and maintain thereafter.
* Pharmacist's Only: Must be a Registered Pharmacist in the State
of Texas (or become registered within 90 days of hire).
* RN's Only: Must have current State of TX RN license or valid
temporary permit or, valid Compact RN license.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based
on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including
pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression,
genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status,
political belief, or veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Nursing, Registered Nurse, Healthcare Administration,
Pharmacy, Patient Care, Healthcare
Keywords: Parkland Hospital, Dallas , Poison Information Specialist , Healthcare , Dallas, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!