Lactation Consultant RN - (6:30A-7P)
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Interested in a career with both meaning and growth? Whether
your abilities are in direct patient care or one of the many other
areas of healthcare administration and support, everyone at
Parkland works together to fulfill our mission: the health and
well-being of individuals and communities entrusted to our care. By
joining Parkland, you become part of a diverse healthcare legacy
that s served our community for more than 125 years. Put your
skills to work with us, seek opportunities to learn and join a
talented team where patient care is more than a job. It s our
passion. PRIMARY PURPOSE Serves as a lactation consultant in the
Women & Family Education department within the WISH and Parkland
Education department, in order to ensure that patients and their
families receive proper education and training related to
breastfeeding. MINIMUM SPECIFICATIONS Education:
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing preferred. Experience:
- Must have two (2) years of experience in maternal/infant
- Prefer experience in lactation consulting/breastfeeding
- Must have inpatient hospital experience.
- Must have current RN license or valid temporary permit with the
Texas Board of Nursing or valid Compact RN license. Employees in
this position hired on or before 01/01/2023 are exempt from this
- Must have a current healthcare provider CPR course completion
card from one of the following:
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross
- Military Training Network.
- Must have Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification
upon hire or obtain it within 90 days of placement in the
- Must obtain certification as an International Board Certified
Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) by the International Board of
Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) within 18 months of hire
date or reclassification date and maintain certification.
- *IBLCE reserves the right to change/cancel exam dates and
delays the release of test results. In instances when the staff
member s exam date is documented as changed/canceled, the staff
member must register for the next regularly scheduled exam date. If
the new test date extends beyond the current expiration date or the
18-month initial hire/reclassification period, the new due date
will be artificially extended six (6) months (last day of the
month) after the new test date to allow for testing and release of
test results to Parkland Health and Hospital System). In instances
when the release of a staff member s test results has been
documented as being delayed by the IBLCE and the results will not
be received before the 18-month period, the staff member will have
their new due date artificially extended six (6) months (last day
of the month) from the original due date identified by date of hire
or date of reclassification. SKILLS or SPECIAL ABILITIES:
- Must be able to demonstrate competency in the physiology and
clinical management of breastfeeding.
- Must be able to demonstrate effective interpersonal skills and
possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with patients,
families, and hospital staff.
- Must demonstrate patient centered/patient-valued
- Must be capable of handling complex or clinical specialty
- Must be able to initiate changes utilizing independent judgment
with minimum supervision.
- Must maintain current continuing education in lactation.
- Facilitates the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding
through one-on-one breastfeeding evaluation and assistance to
mother and baby. Provides education on breastfeeding, breast care
and related topics to patients and their families.
- Assists with interventions for commonly occurring short-term
breastfeeding problems. Assesses unusual breastfeeding situations
or challenges and provides assistance or solutions for staff and
- Teaches Breastfeeding, Childbirth Preparation and/or postpartum
discharge classes to assist class participants in obtaining
knowledge and skills related to pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding and
early parenting. Provides lactation discharge teaching instruction
and refers patients for follow-up care as needed.
- Serves as a clinical resource to hospital staff on issues
related to breastfeeding. Collaborate with unit staff on developing
resolutions to patient s breastfeeding problems.
- Demonstrate proficiency in using breastfeeding management
equipment and devices to assist patients with breastfeeding.
- Assists with developing, implementing and evaluating patient
and family education materials and/or programs.
- Completes appropriate documentation. Maintains accurate and
timely entries and notations in patient care records and hospital
- Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements and
trends in Lactation Consulting by attending seminars/workshops,
reading professional journals and actively participating in
professional organizations. Maintains State of Texas Licensure as a
Registered Nurse, plus certification as an International Board
Certified Lactation Consultant. Integrates knowledge gained into
current work practices.
- Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies,
laws, and guidelines that impact or govern the assigned department.
Develops effective internal controls that promote adherence to
applicable state/federal laws, and the program requirements of
accreditation agencies and federal, state, and private health
plans. Seeks advice and guidance as necessary to ensure proper
- Identifies ways to improve the work process and improve patient
and customer satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor and
implements and monitors results as appropriate in support of the
overall goals and mission of the assigned area and Parkland.
- Serves on various interdisciplinary committees as assigned.
Completes special projects as assigned. Parkland Health and
Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over),
race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, disability, national origin, marital status, political
belief, or veteran status. Associated topics: ambulatory, asn,
cardiothoracic, care, hospice, psychiatric, recovery, registered
nurse, tcu, transitional
Keywords: Parkland, Dallas , Lactation Consultant RN - (6:30A-7P), Healthcare , Dallas, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...