Company: Summit LTC
Posted on: May 17, 2022
POSITION SUMMARYWe are looking for a skilled Cook to become a part
of our facility's compassionate care-giving team. The successful
candidate will be responsible for preparing food in accordance with
current applicable federal, state, and local standards, guidelines
and regulations, established policies and procedures, and as may be
directed by the Dietary Manager, to ensure that quality food
service is provided at all times. We're looking for a highly
competent and well-organized professional who values safety,
security and patient wellness above all else. We focus on providing
the best care possible while ensuring patient satisfaction in every
interaction. The Cook is responsible for making sure those values
are reflected in his or her staff at all times.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND
RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be
- Prepares food for regular and therapeutic diets according to
the planned menu.
- Prepares food using proper food handling and food safe
techniques according to established policies and regulations.
- Utilizes standardized recipes in the preparation of foods for
regular and therapeutic diets.
- Ensures that the proper quantity of food is prepared.
- Makes only authorized substitutions to the planned menu and
records the substitution according to established policy.
- Ensures that food is prepared in accordance with established
- Prepares food for employees and special events as instructed by
- Keeps your area clean and uncluttered during preparation and
service of food.
- Uses the correct portion control utensils during the
preparation and service of food.
- Uses proper technique to taste prepared food to ensure quality
taste and palatability prior to service.
- Maintains the proper temperature of food during preparation and
service. Records temperatures of food according to established
- Serves food according to the planned menu/spreadsheet and the
residents/ food preferences and diet order.
- Ensues that food is served in an attractive appetizing
- Assist in checking trays during service to ensure meals are
served accurately in accordance with the menu and the
resident's/patient's diet order and food preferences.
- Ensures that meals are sent from the kitchen or serving area
according to established time schedules.
- Performs assigned cleaning assignments according to established
policies and utilizing the proper cleaning chemicals.
- Ensures that the department is maintained in a clean manner
according to established policies.
- Labels, dates and stores food properly according to established
- Ensures that refrigerator and freezer temperatures are within
the appropriate range and reports any discrepancies to the
- Washes pots, pans, serving utensils, etc. according to
established procedures for manual and/or automatic dish washing.
Reports any problems with proper water temperature or sanitizer to
the supervisor in a timely manner.
- Stores pots, pans, serving utensils, etc. in a way to prevent
- Ensures that food storage areas are kept clean and properly
arranged at all times.
- Assists in receiving, storing, and verifying invoices for
incoming food, supplies, etc. as indicated by the supervisor.
- Ensures that an adequate supply of food, supplies, etc. are
available at all times. Reports inadequate stock levels to the
supervisor in a timely manner.
- Maintains the security of the department.
- Ensures that the department is maintained in a safe manner
according to established policies.
- Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to the supervisor
and/or maintenance as directed.
- Reports all malfunctioning equipment to the supervisor and/or
maintenance as directed.
- Reports all accidents/incidents as established by department
policies. Fills out and files reports as directed.
- Performs administrative requirements such as completing
necessary forms, reports, etc., and submits to the supervisor as
- Completes all work assignments within scheduled time
- Makes recommendations to the supervisor regarding improvements
in recipes, menus, production and service of food, equipment, etc.
to enhance the quality of the food service.
- Adheres to departmental dress code.
- Interprets department policies and procedures to personnel,
patients/residents, visitors, family members, etc. as
- Develops and maintains a good working relationship and
cooperative attitude with intra departmental personnel, as well as
other departments within the facility.PM21.
QUALIFICATIONSTo perform this job successfully, an individual must
be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions.EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCEHigh school diploma
or relevant qualification.
- Must have, as a minimum, one year dietary experience in a
hospital, skilled nursing care facility or other related medical
- Training in cost control food management, diet therapy,
- A combination of experience and training which provides the
required skills, knowledge, and abilities.
- Must be over the age of 18 years to operate dietary department
equipment.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language in
an understandable manner.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short
correspondence, and memos.
- Must be able to cook a variety of foods in large
- Must have knowledge of dietary procedures, cooking
characteristics of various cuts of meats, names, and contents of
- Mathematical and numerical skills; mechanical aptitude
- Must have the ability to plan, organize, develop, implement,
and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies,
procedures, etc. of the dietary department.
- Ability to maintain the care and use of supplies, equipment,
etc. and appearance of work areas, regular inspection of food
services areas for sanitation, order, safety and proper performance
of assigned duties.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out
instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to communicate orally and in written form effectively
with all levels of employees, patients, families, and vendors.
- Ability to present information in one-on-one and small group
situations to employees, patients, families, and vendors.
- Excellent problem solving/analysis/judgment skills and high
level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Builds and maintains cooperative working relationships
- Must possess leadership and supervisory ability and the
willingness to work harmoniously with professional and
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with
clients, supervisors, County employees, elected officials, law
enforcement, other agencies, and the public.
- Must possess the ability to seek out new methods and principles
and be able to incorporate them into existing practices.
- Resourceful, dependable and accountable
- Able to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends,
and holidays.CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONSNonePHYSICAL
DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENTThe physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.Physical
- Work requires physical activity including extended periods of
walking and standing with occasional climbing, reaching, carrying,
balancing, kneeling, crouching and bending.
- Must have the ability to frequently lift and/or carry
equipment, boxes, and other materials weighing up to 50 pounds as
well as push/pull up to 50 pounds of force with grip strength of 65
- Must be able to assist in the evacuation of residents during
- Must be able to continuously perform simple manipulative
dexterity. Occasionally perform difficult manipulative tasks.
- Must be able to detect the smell of smoke, spoiled food, soiled
- The employee must be able to continuously hear normal sounds
and voice patterns with some background noise. Must have adequate
verbal instructions. Must be able to hear audible emergency
signals, alarms, call, light indicators and to be able to answer
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include: Must be
able to continuously notice a change in the resident (breathing,
color, skin breakdown, etc.) Ability to focus and read menus and
- Visual abilities, correctable to normal ranges, include close,
distance and color vision, depth perception, and the ability to
- Must be able to taste and smell food to detect quality and
palatability.The work environment characteristics described here
are representative of those employee encounters while performing
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Work is performed indoors in a health care facility in well
- Able to withstand extreme temperatures, hot and cold.
- Work is performed during assigned shift; however, hours will
occasionally include varied days, hours, holidays, weekends, and
overtime as needed.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate,
but can occasionally be loud. Subject to frequent
- Is subject to falls, cuts, and burns from equipment, hot foods,
infectious diseases, odors, etc. throughout the workday.
- Incumbents in this position may be exposed to
infectious/communicable diseases, blood borne pathogens, and
potential risk of injury from distraught individuals.
- Frequent exposure to chemical compounds of cleaning and
- Frequent exposure to microbial bacteria and other infectious
agents inherent to care of ill residents.
- Continuous exposure to latex, Tyvex, plastic and/or materials
which are used for personal protective equipment.
- Stress of working with sick residents and their families,
combined with the resident who may be confused, irrational, highly
agitate mood swings. (Frequently)
- Subject to involvement with personnel, visitors, state and
federal agency personnel and residents.Summit LTC Management, LLC
is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered
for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or
Keywords: Summit LTC, Dallas , Dietary Cook, Hospitality & Tourism , Dallas, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!