Coatings Engineer - Process/Quality
Company: James Hardie
Posted on: June 12, 2021
As a member of the North American Central Quality Team reporting
to the Coatings Engineering Manager, the Coating Engineer -
Process/Quality safely and efficiently executes projects that will
benefit the Company from a new production, new products, quality,
efficiency, and/or safety perspective. The Coating Engineer -
Process/Quality develops new and/or improves existing processes for
coating of fiber cement products. This person must have extensive
working knowledge of design, function, specification and
installation of coating systems in a manufacturing environment.
The ideal candidate should have 3-5+ years of experience
optimizing large scale coating equipment, specifying coating
equipment on capital installations, and developing new coating
methods and techniques that deliver improved yield, throughput, or
quality. This role can be based in any of our north american
manufacturing locations with assigned projects varying across plant
locations - travel up to 50%
- Troubleshoots process disruptions affecting plant output
- Conducts process optimization utilizing continuous improvement
tools that improves cost, output, yield & quality
- Investigates, recommends, and implements processes and/or
equipment improvements to improve plant costs, quality, efficiency
- Incorporates project management duties such as project scope
writing, resource management, timelines, reporting progress to
business and delivering executed projects
- Works on cross-functional new product teams consisting of
R&D scientists, plant engineers, design and construction
engineers, quality, EH&S, vendors, plant floor operators and
- Provides technical support and expertise during design,
install, start-up, and preliminary production runs of new
- Develops detailed trial plans and coordinates/oversees in-plant
- Provides technical training, operating guidelines, procedures,
and standard operating procedures to plants relevant to new process
and process implementation
The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be
construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and
qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Software proficient - D4, Mintab, color measurement and
- Demonstrated advanced skills with the standard features of
personal computers including word processing and spreadsheets
(Microsoft Word and Excel, Project, Power Point, Outlook, and
- Strong interpersonal and written/oral communication skills with
the ability to relate well and cooperate with others to effectively
coordinate activities and accomplish goals.
- Demonstrated ability to pay attention to detail and continual
diligence about follow-up.
- Strong desire to learn.
- Well organized, with the ability to multi-task.
- Must be able to lead and be a part of cross functional
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative, work independently,
and perform at a high level with little supervision
- Familiarity with best-practices principles such as Six Sigma
Total Quality Management (TQM) preferred.
- Up to 50% travel.
- A technical degree - BS minimum, MS preferred. For example but
not limited to: Polymer Science, Polymer Chemistry, Chemistry,
Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, and Manufacturing
- 3-5 or more years of direct coatings application experience in
a manufacturing environment - flat goods and profile shapes
- Statistical analysis training and experience
- Familiarity with paint chemistry and formulations.
- Familiarity with color theory and color measurement.
- Project management training and experience.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Quality Engineer, Process Engineer, Manufacturing
Engineer, Construction, Engineering, Quality
Keywords: James Hardie, Dallas , Coatings Engineer - Process/Quality, Other , Cleburne, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!