Departmental Charge Specialist
Posted on: November 20, 2023
Press Tab to Move to Skip to Content Link Category: - Corporate
and Professional Jobs Job Type: - Day Requisition ID: - 907706
Interested in a career with both meaning and growth? Whether your
abilities are in direct patient care or one of the many other areas
of healthcare administration and support, everyone at Parkland
works together to fulfill our mission: the health and well-being of
individuals and communities entrusted to our care. By joining
Parkland, you become part of a diverse healthcare legacy that's
served our community for more than 125 years. Put your skills to
work with us, seek opportunities to learn and join a talented team
where patient care is more than a job. It's our passion. Primary
Purpose Responsible for researching charge discrepancies and
working with other departments/ organizations to make necessary
corrections. Minimum Specifications Education
- High School Diploma Experience
- Must have three (3) years' experience in a hospital or business
office setting to include experience in the areas of medical
billing, registration, or coding. Skills or Special Abilities
- Must have knowledge of third-party payors and understand
managed care and insurance coverage, eligibility, and explanation
- Must have working knowledge of CPT and ICD-9 coding.
- Must be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of personal
computers, to include word processing, spreadsheet, and database
- Must be detail oriented, possess basic mathematical skills, and
have sharp analytical skills to resolve complex financial
- Must demonstrate a positive demeanor, good leadership skills,
good verbal, and written communication skills, and be professional
in both appearance and approach.
- Must demonstrate teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Research and monitors areas of compliance, workflow, business
processes and recommends policies, procedures, and other changes to
improve consistency and effectiveness.
- Assists in the management/reconciliation of patient accounts
with charge discrepancies by researching issues and working with
Patient Financial Services (PFS) to make account adjustments in a
timely manner. Ensures complete and accurate information is
provided for coding and billing to ensure revenue is
- Monitors and tracks staff quality and productivity by auditing
accounts to ensure adherence to policies and procedures.
Participates in ongoing quality monitoring, policy review and
process improvement activities.
- Serves as a lead resource for scheduling within outpatient
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) to achieve effective
and efficient operations.
- Works with PM&R management to coordinate workflow
activities. Identifies ways to improve workflow and customer
satisfaction and makes recommendations to management to improve
upon these areas.
- Supports and provides expertise of outpatient PM&R to
achieve desired practices and/or improvement. Serves as a primary
resource and liaison to administrative management staff.
- Provides daily staff support for all functional areas in
- Assists with the selection, orientation, training, counseling,
and evaluation of assigned employees to ensure maximum utilization
of individual and group capabilities.
- Assists with patient complaints related to scheduling, guiding
the situation toward resolution, or directing/escalating to the
proper resource for resolution. Job Accountabilities
- Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve customer
satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements, and
monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of
the department and Parkland.
- Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and
trends in the field by attending seminars/workshops, reading
professional journals, actively participating in professional
organizations, and/or maintaining certification or licensure.
Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices.
- Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies,
laws, and guidelines that impact the area. Develops effective
internal controls designed to promote adherence with applicable
laws, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state, and
private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as needed to ensure
proper understanding. Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits
discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion,
sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity,
gender expression, genetic information, disability, national
origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Rehabilitation, Patient Care, Business Process,
Healthcare Administration, Healthcare, Management Copyright 2020
Parkland Health & Hospital System - EOE M/F/D/V
Keywords: Appcast, Dallas , Departmental Charge Specialist, Other , Dallas, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!